Parsons Corporation Network Engineer Sr. in McLean, Virginia
Network Engineer Sr.
McLean, Virginia, United States
Provides Tier 3 support to the Network Operations Center (NOC). Supports an organization's local area network (LAN), wide area network (WAN), customer networks, Intranet and Internet and other data communications systems or a segment of a network system. Monitors network to ensure network availability to all system users and perform necessary maintenance to support network availability Maintains network hardware and software. Proactively identify risks in the network and develop a plan to mitigate them. Provides support of numerous business requirements into telecommunications (e.g., LAN, MAN, WAN, Voice and Video). Candidate must have hands on troubleshooting and fault isolation of IT business systems. Applicant must have a strong understanding of the OSI model and configuration of routing protocols such as: EIGRP, OSPF, MPLS, BGP, LDP.
• Diagnose hardware and software problems, and replace defective components.
• Perform data backups and disaster recovery operations.
• Maintain and administer computer networks and related computing environments, including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
• Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware.
• Operate master consoles in order to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
• Perform routine network startup and shutdown procedures, and maintain control records.
• Design, configure, and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
• Perform a full range of upgrades to the existing network architecture.
• Review user requests for upgrades or additions to the network to assess impact on network performance and provide advice and guidance on the most practical technical approach to meeting user requirements.
• Perform long term OM activities to include tier 3 troubleshooting and problem resolution.
• Utilize complex network analysis tools to identify and correct problems in the network.
• Prepare troubleshooting procedures for restoring the network to optimal performance levels.
• Provide fault management for the network and supports performance management functions.
• Respond, isolate, and resolve network troubles. Monitor alarms and alerts to identify network elements causing network degradation or failure.
• Maintain logs and records associated with reported problems or situations.
• Execute reporting functions and data input associated with network management.
• Monitor security posture of the network, and report suspected violations to designated authority.
• Coordinate with configuration management and implementation teams.
• Perform operator-level maintenance on components associated with network management systems.
• Analyze network characteristics (e.g., traffic, connect time, transmission speeds, packet sizes, and throughput) and recommends procurement, removals, and modifications to network components.
• Create and/or maintain operating systems, communications software, data base packages, compilers, assemblers, and utility programs.
• Apply software, hardware, and standards information technology skills in the analysis, specification, development, integration, and acquisition of open systems for Information Management (IM) applications. Ensure these systems and applications are compliant with standards for open systems architectures, reference models, and profiles of standards - such as the IEEE Open Systems Environment (OSE) reference model - as they apply to the implementation and specification of IM solutions on the application platform, across the application program interface (API), and the external environment/software application. Evaluate and recommend COTS applications and methodologies that can be acquired to provide interoperable, portable, and scalable information technology solutions.
• Perform analysis and validation of reusable software and hardware components to ensure the integration of these components into interpretable IM designs.
Active TS/SCI Full Polygraph required
• BS degree in a computer or system science discipline from an accredited college or university and ten (10) to fourteen (14) years of progressive, relevant experience, or an MS degree in a computer or system science discipline and eight (8) to twelve (12) years of progressive experience, or a Ph.D. degree in a computer or system science discipline and four (4) to seven (7) years of progressive experience
• Preferred network certifications: Cisco CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, Juniper JNCIA, JNCIS, or JNCIE, ITIL Foundations, and/or CISSP
Parsons is a digitally enabled solutions provider focused on the defense, security, and infrastructure markets. With nearly 75 years of experience, Parsons is uniquely qualified to deliver cyber/converged security, technology-based intellectual property, and other innovative services to federal, regional, and local government agencies, as well as to private industrial customers worldwide.
Parsons is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran/LGBT.
For more about Parsons, visit parsons.com and follow us on Facebook , Twitter , LinkedIn , and .
Parsons is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran/LGBT
Parsons is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to an individual's race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, union affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, employable physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, immigration status, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.